The main target of an obesity surgery is to reduce the excess weight of the patient. This ultimately helps in lowering the risk of attracting obesity related health issues such as joint diseases, cardiovascular diseases, high blood pressure and much more. It also helps the person gain confidence in himself and increases their self-esteem. There are a lot of good centres that offer the best Gastric Balloon surgery Dubai. However, there are many different surgeries that people can undergo, based on the severity of the obesity. Here are a few:
- Gastric Bypass: This is a minimally invasive method that shrinks the stomach and reroutes the path taken by the food. Causing a decreased appetite and malabsorption of calories. This can be done for individuals who are morbidly obese, and cannot maintain a healthy lifestyle. However, it is not recommended for people who are anaemic or already lack minerals in their body.
- Gastric Balloon: The most simplest and non-invasive method is this one. It works by inserting a silicone balloon, which is removed after 6 months, giving the illusion of fuller stomach faster. This, however, is not ideal for patients who are morbidly obese but have a BMI ranging from 27 to 35.
- Adjustable Gastric Banding: This makes use of an inflatable band to constrict the stomach into two portions, which are connected by a narrow tube. This also causes the patient to feel fuller. But, this is also not advisable for patients who need to lose a hefty amount of weight.
- Sleeve Gastrectomy: A procedure where 75% of the stomach is removed and the remaining forms a tube-like structure that connects to the intestine. Furtherly, the procedure also helps in restricting the production of the appetite regulating hormone, ghrelin. This will decrease the patient’s appetite. This surgery is risk-free and recommended to everyone suffering from obesity.
- Biliopancreatic Diversion: This is a drastic variation to the Gastric Bypass where a larger portion of the stomach is removed and rerouted. This is done for patients who are severely obese and need a quick weight loss.
Obesity surgeries are most popularly done in Dubai in Lapsurgery. It is known for having the most experienced and educated surgeons. One should definitely consider a consultation in Lapsurgery.